How are they made? From spark of Inspiration to final inspection, what is Shey’s process for creating her jewelry designs?
1. Inspiration: Each pendant begins with a spark of inspiration, often drawn from nature, spirituality, or personal experiences. This initial concept is the heart and soul of the piece.
2. Design: The design is carefully sketched and refined, considering every detail. The goal is to create a piece that’s not only visually appealing but also meaningful, serving as a reminder of what we value in life.
3. Materials: High-quality materials are selected, including classic metals such as ancient bronze, sterling silver, or gold bronze. These materials are chosen to match the design and symbolism of the pendant.
4. Craftsmanship: Each original design is meticulously carved from wax. Highly skilled artisans bring the design to life using the lost wax process. Depending on the complexity of the piece, various techniques such as carving, casting, or stone setting may be used. For “Touchstones,” the emphasis is on creating pieces that are tactile, inviting your touch, reinforcing their role as touchpoints to the heart.
5. Finishing: Each pendant undergoes meticulous finishing to ensure it meets the highest standards of quality and craftsmanship. This includes polishing, cleaning, and adding any additional detailing required.
6. Meaningful Touch: “Touchstones” are designed to be more than just jewelry. Special attention is given to their tactile qualities, making them a joy to touch and hold. The intention is for wearers to use these pendants as reminders or anchors to return to their inner selves.
7. Final Inspection: Before reaching your hands, each pendant goes through a final inspection to ensure it meets my vision as an artist and our standard of quality.
The result is a piece of jewelry that not only embodies artistry but also carries a deeper significance, serving as a touchstone to the wearer’s heart and spiritual journey.